Do you have vision and leadership to take our kitchen forward?
We’re looking for a motivated and talented Head Chef to lead our kitchen operation, manage the team, and play a key role in the next stage of our development. Able to work well under pressure, you’ll be confident about cooking food in a busy environment. A passion for food preparation, presentation and menus is essential. And you’ll also need to have the vision and drive to help us develop our food offering.
In the short term you’ll be cooking our existing menus of traditional inn food. In the winter, we’ll start trialing and developing new menus with a more upmarket and exciting style. We’ll need you to play a central role in this important change, and to embody the passion, flair and pride that are required to successfully deliver it.
- Takes pride in all aspects of the role, especially food preparation
- Passion for delivering great service, with confidence, energy and charisma to inspire and lead your team
- Honesty; hardworking nature
- Willingness and flexibility
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to train and develop staff to provide exemplary levels of quality and service
- Ability to manage stock control, working within budgets and staff manning
- Reliable team player
- Positive attitude towards work; ambitious
- Eager to learn and grow with the business
- Excellent leadership skills
- Able to work under pressure in a very busy environment
- Confident in cooking and preparing food in a fast paced environment
- Good attention to detail
- Strong managerial and delegation skills
With overall responsibility for the kitchen operation within the hotel this highly motivated candidate must have a passion for good quality and exceptional service, which will continue to establish and maintain the hotel into the market place. An excellent opportunity for someone within the industry that embraces a challenge. Working closely alongside the Hotel General Manager and Operations Manager this role will see overall responsibility of the Kitchen operation.
- Preparing, cooking and presenting dishes
- Creating and developing new dishes and menus
- Running day-to-day operations in the kitchen
- Dealing with suppliers as well as general kitchen paperwork
- Working to the highest standards of food hygiene and following health and safety rules
- Monitoring portion and waste control to maintain profit margins**
- Ensuring the cleaning schedule is adhered to and cleaning tasks are delegated as appropriate
- Maintaining a detailed knowledge of the full menu in order to explain dish descriptions
- Ensuring all policies, procedures, standards and guidelines are carefully adhered to
- Manage stock levels, adhering to the specified budget and monitoring portion control wastage (this one overlaps with the one above with the asterisk?
- Communicating with the kitchen team as well as the managerial team
- Training and developing team members
- Managing and training kitchen team
- Minimum Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
- SVQ2 catering certificate or equivalent
- A working knowledge of H.A.C.C.P and C.O.S.H.H
Crerar Hotels Values: Crerar Hotel Group is one of Scotland's leading privately owned hotel companies. Crerar Hotels work hard on talent development and always look to progress individuals through internal promotion. This role represents a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic individual to join a dynamic company.
By joining the Crerar Hotels team you'll also automatically be eligible to receive our Fair Fund. Our Fair Fund has been created to reward staff and encourage personal development. Each time a guest or customer decides to pay an optional service charge for great customer service, all staff members will benefit on an equal basis.
Three reasons to choose a career with Crerar Hotels
- Destination locations
Voted 2018's most beautiful country in the world, Scotland provides a sought-after quality of life, ideal for outdoorsy types. Urbanites may find there are limitations, with reduced public transport, small local shops and occasionally – the ultimate modern hardship – patchy phone signal. But those who take that in their stride find that they discover true peace and quiet, wake up to incredible scenery and have Scotland's natural larder to feast on daily.
- Talent development
We always aim to progress staff internally where possible, which means a number of our team have been with us long-term. They've chosen to make a life in one (or more!) of our locations, building themselves a varied career in the Scottish hospitality industry.
- Shaped by our values
Pride, authenticity, creativity, focus, respect and hard work. These principles guide our actions throughout the company, from management's decision making through to the front line of customer service. They're reflected in the Crerar Trust's work supporting local charities and our Fair Fund, ensuring tips are shared equally with all staff.